Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Had an adventurous day.

Around 9am, I went to get the mail, and turned the bolt on the doorknob to what I thought was was the UNlocked position. But a quick turn of the knob once the door was already shut, proved I was paying nearly enough attention.

So there I was, standing on the front porch in my guitar pajama shorts and a tank top, holding a key that only unlocks the post box, locked out of the house.

Stephanie's voice echoed in my head: "It's okay, we're not panicking-- Chloe? We're not panicking."

We have a spare key outback, I thought. And tore around the corner of our block of houses to the back fence. I'd be lying if I said the scene from Mr. and Mrs. Smith, where Brad Pitt is tearing through the bushes in a suit and scaring the next door neighbor didn't scroll through my head at this point.

Of course, I thought, en route, I think it unlocks the back door, which has one of those rods that drops into the track...which is, of course, down right now.

Hoping I was remembering wrong, I scrambled through the back fence and proceeded to check the spot I remembered the spare being the one time I used it. Discouraged by the fact that I found a nail with nothing hanging from it, I went ahead and checked everywhere else in our little backyard.

Between praying and checking under bricks, I tried to think of a logical recourse if no key presented itself: I would need to call Dan at work. On my phone which was inside, sitting on the shoe shelf (laughing at me, no doubt...stupid Motorola...this is the misdirected anger part of the panic process. :P )

That's okay, there's a friendly Korean couple next door who would probably let me borrow a phone if I asked. Oh yeah. I don't have Dan's work number memorized. Well, his mom has it, I could call her. ...except I don't have her number memorized either. Curse you, speed dial!!! Nothing for it but to call my home for Mom Z's number, and then call her for Dan's number.

That will be a fun conversation to have in front of the friendly Korean couple next door. In my pajamas.

Maybe I could just spend the day outside.

...that will be a funny story to share with the guy from Cox when he comes to switch our internet from Verizon in an hour.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow, the screen on the living room window popped right out when tugged on, and thank the Lord Jesus, we forgot to lock the window. I turned the recycling bin over, climbed through the window, under the blinds, and tumbled, giddy with successful bullet-dodging, onto the sofa.

I didn't move for a good twenty minutes. I didn't leave the house for twice that, afraid it would spontaneously lock behind me and change its locks.

I didn't mention any of this to Honore, the pleasant guy from Cox, when he showed up an hour later. His proper name is Honor, but he added the E and pronounces it the French way (honor-RAY) because he liked Paris so much when he lived there for a few years.

He was born in the Congo, but he says he's lived so many difference places, that when he goes home all his friends say he has a weird accent. He sounded African to me, but he said there's some French, Italian and Floridian (I kid you not) that didn't used to be there. He said one time he went home after some time in the south with a little bit of Redneck and it completely freaked his family out. lol

The internet is back, I've braved the not-in-the-house-ness of going for another run, it's time to do something fun.


Wedding photo sorting, strawberry lemonade, and Girlmore Gils.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

p.s. DZ came home with lilies. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment